AddThis

Thursday 30 November 2017

Jesus our Model

John 14:12 ...He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also...

What Would Jesus Do? May seem cliche and over-used, however it is not without its merits: as Christians we should walk in the Holy Spirit, the same Spirit that was in our Lord. This means behaving like Christ would. The Bible teaches all about godly behaviour: to do good and hate evil.

John 13:15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.

It almost goes without saying that I do not mean to develop false piety or messianic delusions: Jesus is the only begotten Son of God, we are not. From birth to death, he lived entirely without sin: we have not. Jesus is honest and humble: never thinking nor claiming to be something that he is not.

Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

I struggle to summarise Jesus' behaviour in one word, but several come to mind: love, sacrifice, obedience, righteousness, humility, forgiveness, faithfulness... saying this, perhaps there is a word: perfection. This is what the Holy Spirit in believers is guiding us towards, being completely perfect, as he was and increasing in all of these attributes and decreasing in our sinful behaviours.

John 3:30 He must increase, but I must decrease.

If the Son of God is perfection personified in the flesh, we are but imperfection personified in the flesh. For us to be completely perfect we must give up our own ways and adopt God's ways, letting His Holy Spirit grow within us and in turn letting our sinful flesh shrink and wither away.

John 14:20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

Thank God this is not by our own strength, this is not us who does the works but the Holy Spirit who dwells in us. All the glory belongs to Him, all we have to do is yield to God and get out of the way. D.L. Moody said ""I" is the center of S-I-N. It is the medium through which Satan acts. And so the worst enemy you have to overcome, after all, is yourself."

Matthew 5:14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

When you become an instrument of the Holy Spirit and are wielded by God you are acting as the light of the world, and what an honour to share in such a glorious title as our Lord Jesus Christ, who is the light of the world and the light of life who dispels the darkness of this world. Keep reading the Holy Bible and learn about the many ways to let the glory of God shine through you.

Luke 18:43 And immediately he received his sight, and followed him, glorifying God: and all the people, when they saw it, gave praise unto God.

No comments:

Post a Comment